NIH NCI Technology Transfer CenterPosted: 05 18, 2017
The NCI Technology Transfer Center (TTC) has fellowship opportunities available to qualified candidates in the fast growing field of technology transfer. This fellowship opportunity combines a science, legal or business background with a new career in technology transfer. The TTC is responsible for negotiating agreements, promoting research partnerships with NCI scientists, and the patenting and licensing of NCI technologies. TTC also has a unit dedicated to marketing and outreach for these research opportunities and their underlying technologies to potential collaborators and licensees. This experience prepares the Fellow for technology transfer positions within universities, industry or the federal government. The TTC has offices in Rockville and Frederick, MD. Applicants should indicate the position(s) and location(s) of interest in their application. There are current openings for both the Combined and Negotiator Fellowships.
Stipends are determined by the level of education and number of years of experience post-graduation. Starting stipends for those with no experience are: Master\’s degree $35,500; Ph.D. $50,800. Starting stipends are higher with relevant work experience in technology transfer and/or additional, applicable degrees. Stipends are paid monthly in arrears. Health benefits are provided. Annual stipend increases may be given on the Fellow\’s anniversary date.
Technology Transfer Fellowship—Negotiator (Rockville or Frederick, MD Offices)
Candidate will be responsible for:
- Drafting and negotiating Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) for NCI scientists and their industrial/academic research partners;
- Drafting and negotiating licenses for NCI technologies;
- Planning and negotiating Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs), Clinical Trial Agreements (CTAs) and other technology transfer agreements;
- Managing patent prosecution of inventions and overseeing patent related issues for NCI scientists;
- Developing technology transfer educational programs for scientists;
- Working with the Invention Development and Marketing Unit, researchers and outside parties to help foster commercialization of technologies and collaborative/partnering opportunities;
- Other duties as pertaining to intellectual property management and technology transfer.
Technology Transfer Fellowship—Combined Negotiator and Marketing (Frederick, MD Office only)
This fellowship opportunity is designed to develop the unique skills associated with both negotiating technology transfer agreements and marketing a large portfolio. Approximately 50% time will be dedicated to each function.
Candidate will be responsible for:
- The Negotiator responsibilities described above;
- Working on marketing strategies/campaigns and descriptive marketing advertisements to attract research partners, and generating leads for technologies;
- Developing comprehensive understanding of technology portfolio in order to serve as subject matter expert;
- Advising intramural researchers on technology development strategies;
- Monitoring responses to marketing campaigns and develop business relationships with company business development sources;
- Acting as one of the liaisons between the NCI and outside parties requesting additional information on collaborative/partnering opportunities.
- An advanced degree in the sciences, law, business, economics, or public health. All candidates must have a background in the sciences;
- Have received most current degree within the last 8 years;
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident (must hold green card) eligible for citizenship within 4 years;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills.
To apply: Submit a copy of your resume or CV, a statement of interest explaining why you are interested in the TTC fellowship program, and two letters of recommendation by one of the following:
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax to: Attention: TTC Fellowship Coordinator (fax# 240-276-5504); or Mail to: Attention: TTC Fellowship Coordinator Technology Transfer Center National Cancer Institute 9609 Medical Center Drive., Rm. 1E530 MSC 9702, Bethesda, MD 20892
DHHS/NIH/NCI are Equal Opportunity Employers.